Why do people like fur clothes? Does it become a trend? Fur clothing has been used for centuries, so that is why they can pass it from one generation to another. In the stone age, the thick animal fur can provide the best protection in chilly winter. After hundreds of years, it becomes a trend for wealthy people. This article argues for the ban on real fur products. I agree with what is written in the article on how it transitioned from usage for the necessity to a fashion trend, how using fur can affect the environment and economy.
“Killing an animal to make a coat is a sin.” It was not meant to be, and we have no right to do it” (Fox, 2013). The horrible actions done in the fur industry are unimaginable. Animals get crammed in cold and dark cages, starved, beaten to death and skinned alive. Unfortunately, this happens continuously daily. There’s no excuse for any brand or a company that uses real fur in their products since there are many alternatives out there that can replace the usage of real fur.
Actress Doris Day said that is “it is unethical to coats from animal fur.” Fur was used to protect people from the cold now is widely used in fashion industry embedded in coats, hats, boots, and accessories. Also, for the designers such as Oscar de la Renta, Marc Jacobs, and Anna Sui. The kinds of animals that have been killed for their fur are foxes, chinchillas, minks, and rabbits. They are captive and spend their lives on farms (Fur farms, 2013). They faced cheapest killing methods in farms. Also, they poisoned, suffocated, electrocuted, and skinned alive in these farms. Animals must go through all these awful just for the fashion industry. The fashion nowadays is fur. Everyone nowadays has fur clothes even if it is one piece. There is fur is showing in the Autumn/Winter season in fashion shows around the world. in all fashion country. There is some include fur in their collections. But not all designers use fur for their designs. Other designers, they said that they are avid animal-lovers. That is why people should not buy any fur clothes even if it from famous designers because out environment came first. Also, in Celebrity people like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Kim Kardashian are known to be fur lovers. This will give a wrong impression for the public that wearing fur makes you feel a pop star or actor.
The environment and water also affected, fur clothing poses a threat toward the environment (The fur industry, n.d.). A study was done in 2003 by Michigan State University state that “the United States mink industry adds almost one thousand tons of phosphorus to the environment each year” (The fur trade, 2013). In the side of water pollution, it happens because of an Excessive release of phosphorous from fur farms. Air pollution also happens because of fur farms. The bad smell came from dead animal influences the surrounding ecosystem.one of the major issues that can affect not only the fur farm but also the surrounding population is ammonia it can damages forests and kills fishes. In dyeing and dressing faux fur coat Formaldehyde and chromium used (The fur trade, 2013). That is why it is essential to aware people about the risks and harms that fur fashion industry could cause. Therefore, it should be banned from the used fur on clothing. Not only the environment even for the animal we should save them from being an extension. Fur clothing industry not only will affect animals, environment, water, air but also human. Fur is producing cost much money. It also causes a million animal deaths worldwide. Killing them can cause the extinction of animals such as chinchillas, foxes, and minxes. Moreover, the death of millions of animals can lead to an imbalance in the ecosystem.
Furthermore, fur clothing can last for a very long time, but it needs high maintenance (Ten fast facts, n.d.). It takes too much efforts and money to keep fur clothing in shape. Also, it needs much time to clean and trim the fur. in the side of animal extinction, various animals such as foxes, chinchillas, minks, and rabbits are killed daily just for their fur. With the advancement of manufacturing technique, we can now have synthetic clothes that do not rely on real animals.
The main reason that I am against this idea because this is a cruel, gruesome business. They used an aggressive way to kill an animal even most of the time they hunger them or give them meat by-products. So, many animals get a disease because if the area they locked in. Also, with technology, many fabrics are manufactured with almost the same characteristics to the real ones.
1. Koerner, A. (2012, March 27). Seven fur-free fashion designers. Retrieved November 19, 2013, from
2. People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (2013). The fur industry. Retrieved November 19, 2013
3. from PETA Website http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-clothing/fur/
4. People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (2013). Fur farms. Retrieved November 19, 2013, from
5. PETA Website http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-clothing/fur/fur-farms/
6. Fox, I. (2013, August 1). Fur is back – would you wear it?. Retrieved November 19, 2013, from
8. Penman, D. (2011, March 17). Is ‘ethical fur’ the fashion industry’s most cynical con yet?. Retrieved
9. from November 19, 2013, from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1366983
11. Ardiansyah, R. (2013, January 4). Advantages and disadvantages of fur jackets for women. Retrieved a. November 19, 2013, from http://fashion.rudiardiansyah.net/fur-jackets-for-women/
12. n.a. (n.d.). Ten fast facts about fur. Retrieved November 19, 2013, from
13. n.a. (n.d.). Designers that use fur. Retrieved November 19, 2013, from
14. Respect for Animals (2013) The fur trade and the environment. Retrieved November 25, 2013, from