The University of Cagayan Valley (UCV) is a private non-sectarian university in Cagayan Valley Region. It was formerly known as the Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao (CCT) and Cagayan Teachers College (CTC), was founded in April 1948 by the late Atty. Matias Ponce Perez Sr., Ph D. and Dona Caridad Ventura-Perez. It is located in Tuguegarao City where it maintains two campuses, the College Avenue Campus where the Dr. Matias P. Perez Sr. Building is situated that houses the High School Laboratory and the College of Health. On the other hand, in the Balzain Campus which is now the main campus of the university where different buildings are quartered; the School of Criminology, School of Arts and Sciences, School of Business Education, School of Teacher Education, College of Law, College of Maritime Education, College of Engineering, College of Information Technology, College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, and the School of Technology.
During the World War II, the country was still in economic chaos, most schools were burned and destroyed and were being rebuilt and rehabilitated. Atty. Perez concretized his long life dream and promise to the Cagayan electorate in the early 30’s of founding a school. At that time, there were no college institutions of higher learning in Tuguegarao and had to go to Manila to obtain a college education.
Atty. Perez had a great foresight and foreseen that after the war, there would be a great need for more schools in Tuguegarao, for better skilled and more qualified teacher. In April 1948, with the help of his friends, relatives, and some public school officials, and with the support and inspiration of his wife, Mrs. Dona Caridad Ventura-Perez, the Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao formerly CCT, now UCV was born.
The Cagayan Teachers College, now the University of Cagayan Valley started modestly. Its course during its first year of academic operation (1948-1949) was just limited to Bachelor of Science in Education and Elementary Teacher’s Certificate. Soon after, other courses were offered.
The fact that the Institution has begun to offer other courses than teaching, the old name of the institution, “Cagayan Teachers College was already a misnomer. In 1983, the Board of Trustees amended Article II to change the Institution’s name to Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao.