Delegating implies taking risks, and the biggest thing is that you have to bear the consequences of someone else’s decisions.
To increase comfort and chances of the person or team delegated to complete their assignments successfully we have to fallow next steps:
• What we need to delegate- we have to describe in simple words what tasks need to be done and explain what you do not want that person to do (the person is suitable for the task allocated) e.g. delegate making decisions, work process, analysis and research (workers are satisfied with workload, improve customers relations), strategy (delegated person has to find a strategy for Black Friday how to deliver all stock to customers without any delay).
• Choose the right person or team- establish the skills and knowledge a person needs to have a successful task and avoid empowering people without the necessary knowledge and skills e.g. can be used matrix skills to find out what trainings does the person has and if they have enough experience for the specific task.
• Assess skills and trainings needs- there might be another person capable to do the task; they understand what it needs to be done, otherwise we can’t delegate.
• Delegate correctly- explain the importance of this task and what is to be done, the effort that needs to be put, and the date it needs to be done.
• Resources required- discuss with the delegated person or team and agree resources to get the job done e.g. people, equipment, budget, materials and others services
• Monitor performance- frequently set up well-defined control points to monitor performance; perform this monitoring in accordance with the established work schedule e.g. can use one to one meeting to know what he did wrong, what is good and what we he needs to do more.
• Inform and communicate – inform whoever needs to know what’s going on and let them know before the action
• Drive on time- ready to follow the proposed actions but do nothing until the delegation is approved.
• Get feedback – need to see how delegation was, if there are any concerns, need any improvement, delegated person can do more.